2022 DR-Z400S Overview
Riders will be impressed with the amount of torque coming from the 398cc, liquid-cooled powerplant, as well as the crisp handling from the adjustable suspension. This ultra-reliable bike is completely street legal, with an electric start and...
There was an error loading these images. please try again later!
A compact design, 398cc, DOHC, liquid-cooled, dry-sump engine produces strong low-rpm power. Its compact, four-valve cylinder head features large 36mm intake valves and 29mm exhaust valves to help produce broad, tractable power and torque that’s ready for any terrain.
Simple electric starting via a lightweight starter motor with an automatic mechanical decompression system.
Suzuki Composite Electrochemical Materials (SCEM) cylinder is durable and lightweight and provides superior heat transfer.
Digitally-mapped DC-CDI system monitors throttle position/engine rpm and adjusts ignition timing to maintain efficient combustion.
Forged aluminum piston is 10 percent lighter than a cast piston and receives additional oil-cooling through a crankcase oil jet.
Fed by a six-liter air box, the Mikuni™ 36mm carburetor incorporates a deceleration enricher circuit to help provide smooth throttle response when accelerating or engine braking.
The left side body cover has quick-release fasteners for easy access to the air filter.
The use of a PAIR (air supply) system to the exhaust helps the motorcycle achieve emissions compliance without affecting performance.
Magnesium-alloy clutch, magneto, and cylinder head covers contribute to the bike’s low weight.
Thermostatically-controlled cooling fan mounted to the left radiator helps maintain consistent operating temperature.
Compact, five-speed transmission utilizes a cable-operated clutch with a separate magnesium outer cover for simplified clutch maintenance.
Low-maintenance, long-life sealed O-ring type drive chain produces minimal sounds when riding.
A narrow frame combines thin chrome-moly steel tubes for exceptional torsional rigidity with minimal weight. The backbone tube, front down tube, and steering head gussets form the dry-sump engine oil tank. A bolt-on aluminum sub-frame helps reduce weight and simplify maintenance.
Long travel (11.3-inch), 49mm cartridge-style fork has protective rubber boots plus adjustable compression/rebound damping and adjustable spring preload for smooth performance on all types of on- and off-road terrain.
Rear shock absorber features 11.6 inches of travel, compression damping/preload adjustments, and connects to a lightweight aluminum swingarm through a progressive linkage system.
Spoke-style 21-inch front and 18-inch rear wheels with new blacked-out aluminum rims are fitted with Dunlop D208 dual-purpose tires. The wheels are sized perfectly to accept popular dual sport tires and are set up to accept rim-locks when a more aggressive tread pattern is used.
Sure stopping power is supplied by a 250mm front disc with a dual-piston caliper and a 220mm rear disc brake with a single-piston caliper.
Special design mirrors rotate to avoid damage in case of impact.
A pouch on the rear fender carries the tool kit, owner’s manual, or other cargo.
Off-road inspired gray and black bodywork has bold black, silver, and yellow graphics.
Electric start system provides convenient operation and features a lightweight starter motor and a compact, 6.5-amp, maintenance-free battery.
Compact digital instrument cluster includes speedometer, odometer, twin-trip meters with addition/subtraction capability, clock, timer, and stopwatch functions.
On-road legal lighting includes bright 60/55-watt H4 halogen headlight, compact tail/stoplight, lightweight, rubber-mounted turn signals, and horn.
Genuine Suzuki Accessories include a low-profile seat, cargo rack, handguard set, and more.
12-month limited warranty. Longer coverage periods with other benefits available through Suzuki Extended Protection (SEP).*
*Subject to separate coverage for certain parts and the exclusions and limitations described in the New On-Road Motorcycle Limited Warranty.
- Engine398cc, 4-stroke, liquid-cooled, single cylinder, DOHC
- Bore x Stroke90.0 mm x 62.6 mm (3.54 in. x 2.44 in.)
- Compression Ratio11.3:1
- Fuel SystemMikuni BSR36, single carburetor
- LubricationSemi-dry sump
- ClutchWet multi-plate
- Transmission5-speed constant mesh
- Final DriveChain, RK520KZ0, 112 links
- Suspension FrontTelescopic, coil spring, oil damped, adjustable damping force
- Suspension RearLink type, coil spring, oil damped, adjustable spring preload and damping force
- Brakes FrontDisc brake, single rotor
- Brakes RearDisc brake, single rotor
- Tires Front80/100-21 M/C 51P, tube type
- Tires Rear120/90-18 M/C 65P, tube type
- Fuel Tank Capacity10.0 L (2.6 US gal.) / 9.5 L (2.5 US gal.) CA model
- ColorSolid Iron Gray & Solid Black
- IgnitionElectronic ignition (CDI)
- Spark PlugNGK CR8E or DENSO U24ESR-N
- Headlight12V 60/55W (H4)
- Tail Light12V 21/5W
- Overall Length2310 mm (90.9 in.)
- Overall Width875 mm (34.4 in.)
- Overall Height1230 mm (48.4 in.)
- Wheelbase1485 mm (58.5 in.)
- Ground Clearance300 mm (11.8 in.)
- Seat Height935 mm (36.8 in.)
- Curb Weight144 kg (317 lb.)
- Warranty12-month limited warranty.
- ExtensionLonger coverage periods with other benefits available through Suzuki Extended Protection (SEP)