2023 GSX-S1000GT Overview
More than a successor to the prior generation GSX-S1000F, the GSX-S1000GT is the motorcycle that performance-minded touring enthusiasts desire, whether heading out on a long trip with a passenger on...
There was an error loading these images. please try again later!
Ready to split the wind, the full fairing sets the standard for aerodynamics and rider wind protection in the sport touring category. The dual mono-focus LED headlights and V shaped LED position light creates a distinctive appearance and great illumination. With, or without the optional side cases and touring windscreen in place, the GSX-S1000GT is the performance standard in the Grand Tourer category.
The GSX-S1000GT features a large, 6.5 in Thin Film Transistor, or TFT, panel that is easy to read in any light condition and features a format that makes it easy for the rider to adjust many of the bike’s S.I.R.S. features. The panel also features Suzuki’s mySPIN connectivity application that seamlessly links to a smartphone to provide easy access to contacts, maps, music, and phone communication.
Worldwide emissions-compliant, the 999cc, GSX-R-based engine has increased peak power, with strong torque in the low- to mid-range that’s smoothly controlled by new, Ride-by-Wire electronic throttle bodies, for a Grand Touring experience that’s extraordinary.
Upright ergonomics deliver superb control and comfort, while the twin-spar aluminum frame and fully adjustable KYB suspension deliver controlled handling. The ABS-equipped** Brembo Monobloc brake calipers with dual, floating brake rotors provide controlled stopping power.
The Suzuki Clutch Assist System (SCAS) smooths shifting and engine braking, while the standard Bi-directional, Quick Shift system gives your clutch hand a rest. Right hand comfort is increased with the hybrid throttle system and the precise electronic cruise control.
The Suzuki Intelligent Ride System (S.I.R.S.) includes the three-mode Suzuki Drive Mode Selector, the five-mode Advanced Traction Control System*, Bi-directional Quick Shift System, and the popular Easy Start and Low RPM Assist systems.
Stately in Metallic Reflective Blue paint with understated identity logos further establishes the GSX-S1000GT as motorcycling’s Grand Touring leader.
*The Traction Control System is not a substitute for the rider's throttle control. It cannot prevent loss of traction due to excessive speed when the rider enters a turn and/or applies the brakes. Neither can it prevent the front wheel from losing grip.
**Depending on road surface conditions, such as wet, loose, or uneven roads, braking distance for an ABS-equipped vehicle may be longer than for a vehicle not equipped with ABS. ABS cannot prevent wheel skidding caused by braking while cornering. Please ride carefully and do not overly rely on ABS.
The GSX-S1000GT’s long-stroke GSX-R engine has been refined to produce a broad, smooth torque curve through the full rev-range, with impressive peak horsepower.
- The GSX-S1000GT provides predictable and controllable throttle response, with abundant top-end power to provide the rider an exciting riding experience.
Compared to the prior generation GSX-S1000 engine, the GT’s camshaft profiles decrease lift and valve overlap, not only to improve emissions, but balance the engine’s performance and drivability, while enhancing rider control.
- The valve springs are calibrated to the unique camshafts to aid performance and improve durability.
The cam chain tensioner and tension adjuster were designed with select materials to reduce friction and improve durability.
Suzuki’s legendary Twin Swirl Combustion Chamber (TSCC) design is machined into the cylinder head that, with the flat-top pistons, achieves an optimal 12.2:1 compression ratio that helps deliver a broad spread of power throughout the entire rev range.
Aluminum pistons, engineered with use of Finite Element Method (FEM) analysis, are cast for optimal rigidity and weight.
- Ventilation holes between the cylinders reduce pumping loss within the crankcase so the engine can deliver more power and torque.
- Suzuki Composite Electrochemical Material (SCEM)–plated cylinders integrated into the upper crankcase reduce friction and improve heat transfer and durability.
The engine case finish presents a strong image of quality, while the design of the engine covers (clutch, stator, and drive sprocket) feature a smooth shape and metal-like finish.
Electronic throttle bodies are employed on the GSX-S1000GT, so engine response is smoother and even more controlled, especially when the rider is applying the throttle to accelerate out of a corner.
- These Ride-by-Wire throttle bodies provide precise control for the Suzuki Drive Mode Selector (SDMS), Traction Control (TC), and Bi-directional Quick Shift system (QS).
- Long-tip, 10-hole fuel injectors on each throttle body improve fuel atomization, while the automatic Idle Speed Control (ISC) improves cold starting and stabilizes the engine idle.
The air cleaner’s internal structure contributes to the GSX-S1000GT’s strong engine performance while producing the exciting intake sound for which the GSX-S1000 is renowned.
- The air cleaner’s external shape was created to match the large capacity fuel tank (5.0 US gallons).
The GSX-S1000GT’s stainless steel, 4-2-1 exhaust system has a centralized mass, under-chassis design with sharp looks, and an exciting note.
- Behind the header pipes, the mid-chamber contains a second catalytic converter to help ensure emissions compliance, a low center-of-gravity and good exhaust flow to help the engine deliver a strong low- to mid-range punch, with an exciting rush to redline.
A Suzuki Exhaust Tuning (SET) valve manages flow from the mid-chamber into the muffler, while the sculpted muffler has a pleasing appearance that’s uncommon to under-chassis exhausts and creates an exciting, distinctive sound that won't overpower the rider and passenger's senses.
- With the catalytic converters located in the mid-chamber, GSX-S1000GT riders can fit an EPA or CARB-compliant silencer from suppliers such as Yoshimura R & D, USA.
The digital ignition fires iridium-type spark plugs which increase spark strength and combustion efficiency, contributing to higher power, a more linear throttle response, easier engine start-up, and a more stable idle. These quality components also last longer than conventional spark plugs.
The lower cowl and radiator-shrouds efficiently guide cooling air to the high-capacity, curved radiator.
- A thermostatically controlled cooling fan helps ensure lower coolant temperatures when riding in slow-moving traffic. The design also deflects hot air away from the rider at speed.
Additional heat is removed from the engine via the use of a lightweight and compact liquid-cooled oil cooler (like those used on certain GSX-R models).
Like a GSX-R1000, the GSX-S1000GT's race-proven, six-speed, close-ratio transmission features vertically staggered shafts to reduce overall engine length.
The precise shift linkage helps the rider easily and quickly select the best gear for the riding conditions.
- A rotary sensor sends shifter movement data to the ECM, so the Bi-directional Quick Shift system precisely responds to the rider’s actions. This design provides precise shifting feeling at the shift lever and, because of its location on the engine, reduces the chance of damage in a tip over.
- The gearshift cam, shift shaft and clutch release cam were also revised to support the function of the bi-directional Quick Shift system.
The latest version of the Suzuki Clutch Assist System (SCAS) clutch is fitted to the GSX-S1000GT. More than ever before, the SCAS clutch increases plate pressure under acceleration, yet acts as a slipper clutch to smooth the engine response during engine braking and corner entry.
- This large-diameter, wet, multi-plate clutch uses a precise cable-activated release, providing the rider with a light pull that also has superb friction-point feel.
The strong, 525 drive chain uses O-rings to preserve internal lubrication, so power is transmitted smoothly and quietly.
Suzuki’s proven, twin-spar aluminum frame helps to ensure nimble handling and great road holding ability. The main spars are positioned straight from the steering head to the swingarm pivot, which promotes higher rigidity and lighter weight.
The sturdy aluminum-alloy swingarm comes straight from the GSX-R1000 and is ruggedly braced, which helps ensure great road-holding ability, while enhancing its contemporary superbike looks.
Connected to the swingarm is a link-type rear suspension, with a single shock absorber that features seven-way adjustable spring preload with rebound-damping force adjustment.
The 43mm inverted KYB fork has adjustable compression and rebound damping, plus spring preload adjustment with a generous 120 mm (4.7 inches) of front wheel travel.
- Like the fork and shock absorber fitted to the GSX-S1000 sports roadster, the suspension spring rates, and damping force setting are tuned specifically for the GSX-S1000GT.
Unique to GSX-S1000 models, the TRP six-spoke, lightweight, cast aluminum wheels look great and contribute to the bike’s nimble handling and sporty performance.
Similar to the tires fitted to the GSX-S1000 sports roadster, Dunlop’s new Roadsport 2 radial tires (120/70ZR17 at the front and a new, wider sized 190/50ZR17 at the rear) were custom-engineered to perform optimally on the GSX-S1000GT, providing great grip in dry or wet conditions, faster warm-up, and long tread life.
These wheels and tires work in harmony with carefully selected front- and rear-suspension settings to help realize the great grip, stability and nimble handling demanded for sporty performance, while also contributing to a comfortable ride.
Dual front brakes, with fully floating 310mm discs and Brembo Monobloc calipers, with four 32mm opposed pistons, provide strong and consistent stopping power when riding solo or two-up.
The front brakes are complemented by a 240mm rear disc brake, with a Nissin single-piston caliper to help ensure controlled stops.
Both the front and rear brakes can be modulated by a compact Anti-lock Brake System (ABS)** controller to match stopping force to the available traction.
In contrast to the prior generation GSX-S1000F, the GSX-S1000GT features a more upright riding position for even greater comfort and control.
- This reasonable sport touring riding position is the result of a carefully crafted relationship between the handlebar, footrests, and seat.
- This riding position helps the rider steer the motorcycle’s front end with less effort.
The matte black, tapered cast-aluminum handlebar contributes to the excellent riding ergonomics and performance-oriented style.
- Securely clamped in a floating mount, the handlebar effectively damps vibration to the rider’s hands.
- The handlebar is 23 mm (0.90 in.) wider than the prior generation GSXS-S1000F and is rotated slightly upward to raise the grip height in relation to the rider.
The aluminum pegs of both the rider and passenger footrests are covered with vibration-absorbing rubber. This reduces the amount of vibration transmitted to the feet, which improves comfort, especially on long rides.
- Both pairs of footrests are positioned lower reducing bend at the rider’s and passenger’s knees and ankles, further improving comfort.
- The rear footrest location provides ample clearance for the passenger’s legs when the optional side cases are installed.
The rider and passenger seats have a sporty design that maximizes comfort on long rides. Both have a weather-resistant cover material that balances grip with freedom of movement.
- The rider’s seat shape further expands freedom of movement, while the pillion design maximizes passenger comfort and integrates well with the stylish grab bar design that does not intrude into the seat area.
Stepped to provide a good view over the rider’s shoulder, the passenger seat is set 2.3 in. (60 mm) higher than the rider’s seat.
- Rider seat height: 31.9 in. (810 cm); approximate passenger seat height 34.2 in. (870 cm)
The black finish on the shifter, rear brake, and both hand levers matches the performance nature of the motorcycle.
- The front brake lever features a multi-step adjuster that permits quick adjustment of the lever’s distance from the grip.
**Depending on road surface conditions, such as wet, loose, or uneven roads, braking distance for an ABS-equipped vehicle may be longer than for a vehicle not equipped with ABS. ABS cannot prevent wheel skidding caused by braking while cornering. Please ride carefully and do not overly rely on ABS.
The shape of the upper and lower fairing effectively moves the wind flow away from the rider, reducing direct pressure to the rider’s helmet, shoulders, and knees.
- Wind-tunnel testing and test-rider feedback yielded a special lower-fork bracket cover that extends up into the fairing to deflect air flow that would otherwise whirl up around the instrument panel and rider.
Much of the GSX-S1000GT’s aerodynamic effectiveness arises from the windscreen that was developed to maximize wind protection to the rider and passenger, thus enhancing the Grand Touring experience.
- Shaped and positioned so most riders see over the upper edge, the windscreen’s wind-tunnel-developed shape moves the air flow away from the rider.
- Comfort is also increased by the folded edges of the windscreen which reduces air flow that would normally press against the rider’s shoulders.
- A measured amount of airflow under the windscreen creates a smooth envelope of air, benefitting the rider and passenger, both.
An optional, taller Touring Windscreen is available (2.75 in. (70 mm) taller than the standard screen). This optional screen also arches forward, further reducing air flow to the rider and passenger.
- The optional touring screen was developed alongside the standard screen, ensuring that its look and function properly integrate with the GSX-S1000GT.
- While large windscreens are typically hot stamped, this Genuine Suzuki Accessory is injection molded, so its special shape could be realized with optimized optical quality.
Aerodynamic performance and wind protection influenced the design of the fairing-mounted mirrors and mirror stalks. Head and stalks were shaped to streamline the flow of air across the mirrors, reducing the amount of wind that reaches the riders hands.
- The height and position of the mirrors was carefully set so riders can easily move their view from the road, to the mirrors, or to the instrument panel.
Designed with spacious storage capacity and the ability to clip on and off the motorcycle in seconds, the GT’s optional, large capacity side cases feature a compact design that integrates seamlessly with the motorcycle’s sharp, futuristic styling.
- With 25.7 L (0.9 cubic ft) of storage space and 5 kg (11 lbs.) weight capacity, each side case can hold most full-face helmets.
- Painted panels on the side case lids integrates the luggage to the motorcycle, providing a perfect match to the GSX-S1000GT body colors.
- The side case lock tumblers can be set to accept the motorcycle’s ignition key to open the luggage or disengage the quick-release mechanism.
- Once installed, the side case mounting hardware is black and unobtrusive, so when the optional side cases are not mounted, the mounting hardware does not detract from the motorcycle’s sporty appearance.
The GSX-S1000GT’s fuel tank is a generous 19 L (5.0 US Gal.) to reduce the frequency of gas stops while touring or commuting.
The styling goal of the GSX-S1000GT was to visually express the performance potential, comfort, and pleasure of this true grand touring motorcycle. At the same time, the GT’s appearance is intended to convey the refinement and sophistication of a Suzuki motorcycle that offers advanced rider support tools like S.I.R.S. and mySPIN.
From designer concept to wind-tunnel tuning, the GSX-S1000GT’s sharp lines, radical front face, and aerodynamic good looks all speak to the sporty soul of this GT machine.
- The GT’s striking face combines the protruding fairing nose with a pair of small- diameter, horizontally arranged LED headlights to create the signature look for Suzuki’s Grand Tourer.
- The fairing includes a proper lower cowl that is styled and shaped to manage air flow through the radiator and deflect wind past the rider and passenger.
- These front styling elements combine with the seat design, slim tail section and short, compact muffler design to create a sleek and powerful image that emphasizes the GT’s prowess as a performance motorcycle, built not only for speed, but for extended comfort and riding enjoyment, as well.
The optional Side Cases and Touring Windscreen were styled at the same time as the base motorcycle, so when fitted, they present an integrated appearance.
The 2023 GSX-S1000GT arrives in Suzuki’s unique Metallic Reflective Blue (QT8). This dark blue has a luxurious gloss finish that heightens pride of ownership.
The distinctively styled “GT” logos on the fairing sides lend an intelligent and sophisticated look that befits a grand tourer. Understated SUZUKI logos on the fuel tank also contribute to a sophisticated appearance.
The custom-designed ignition key sports the special GT logo in gold lettering on its grip to add a luxurious touch and aims to instill pride-of-ownership in this new model.
The oil-cooled, three-phase charging system provides ample power for the GSX-S1000GT’s maintenance-free battery and ride-enhancing electronics.
Suzuki’s Easy Start System requires just a simple touch of the starter button to fire up the engine (without pulling the clutch lever if the transmission is in neutral).
Rather than using a more complex and slower conventional wiring harness, the GSX-S1000GT’s Computer Area Network (CAN)-style wire harness functions as an interconnected information network.
- The CAN-wiring system enables the motorcycle’s various sensors and microcontrollers to communicate almost instantaneously with each other.
- With fewer wires, CAN-wiring makes the GSX-S1000GT lighter and simpler while providing a way for the advanced components – like the TFT instrument panel, electronic throttle bodies and bi-directional quick shifter – to communicate faster with the ECM.
A powerful 32-bit ECM provides state-of-the-art engine management that contributes to the operation and optimization of the GSX-S1000GT’s electrical and S.I.R.S. components.
The GSX-S1000GT is equipped with Suzuki’s innovative multifunction handlebar switches that are laid out to maximize operating ease and efficiency. A Local Interconnected Network (LIN) wire harness is used for fast and precise communication between the TFT LCD instrument panel and the handlebar switches.
- The rider can use the TFT LCD panel information and the mode/select switch on the left handlebar to change Suzuki Intelligent Ride System (S.I.R.S.) settings.
- The right handlebar switch has a poly-function rocker switch that serves as both the engine stop- and start-button that activates the Easy Start System. The switch also has a hazard flasher switch and Cruise Control button.
The TFT LCD screen, ECM, and all other electronics on the GSX-S1000GT were rigorously tested in an anechoic chamber to help ensure they are not susceptible to magnetic interference from external sources.
Matched well to the GSX-S1000GT aerodynamic styling, the compact, dual LED headlight assembly is set within the nose of the fairing.
Supplied by Koito®, the independent, high- and low-beam headlights use Mono-focus LED technology that shines light directly through a convex lens to brightly illuminate the road.
A wide, V-shaped LED position light is set into the brow of the front fairing above the dual hexagonal-shaped LED headlights, making the GSX-S1000GT clearly visible to pedestrians and other traffic. This configuration creates a new, illuminated face unlike any other motorcycle.
Front LED turn signals within thin, arrow-shaped housings, extend outward from the middle fairing. The thin, arrow-like LED rear-turn signals combine with an LED combination light to complement the stylish lines of the trim tail section and match well to the bike’s unique styling.
With lower electrical draw than conventional lighting, the LED headlights, position light, turn signals and taillight compliment the GSX-S1000GT’s wind-cheating body, while improving both visibility and durability.
Developed specifically for use on Suzuki motorcycles, the GSX-S1000GT’s instrument panel uses a 6.5-inch, full-color TFT LCD screen.
This high-quality instrument panel is set into the inner fairing above the handlebars, for good visibility and protection from road debris. The large TFT LCD panel, itself, features a scratch-resistant surface, and an anti-reflective coating that improves visibility in bright light.
The brightness adjustable TFT display delivers a wide range of useful information, keeping the rider fully aware of all the bike’s systems, settings and real-time operating status; when connected to the rider’s smartphone it can also display maps, incoming and outgoing phone calls, contacts, and music for even greater convenience, functionality and fun.
- The display can be set for manual or automatic switching between Day Mode (white background) and Night Mode (black background). The display’s general brightness can be set to automatically adjust to the ambient light-level, or manually set to suit the rider’s preference.
- The TFT LCD display uses GSX-S1000GT exclusive graphics, including blue background lines that add an extra artistic touch to help convey Suzuki spirit and brand identity.
- An additional feature of the TFT LCD screen is a brief custom animation that plays when the ignition key is switched on. This playful presentation is pleasing to the eye and builds excitement for the ride to come.
The display format provides operational information in an easily recognizable way:
- The left side of the panel has an analog tachometer animation with a sweeping red needle that accurately shows engine speed all the way up to the 11,750 RPM redline.
- Near the center of the panel is a digital speedometer, and directly below the speed display is a fuel level gauge.
- The right side of the panel is the rider interface for the S.I.R.S. features, such as the Traction Control or the Bi-directional Quick Shift System.
- The upper portion of the right side of the TFT LCD panel displays status icons for the clock, smartphone battery level, and wireless connection status for smartphones and other rider and passenger Bluetooth devices.
- Depending upon the rider’s selection, the lower portion of the right side of the panel can display coolant temperature, ambient air temperature, odometer, dual tripmeters, fuel consumption, and riding range.
Two secondary TFT LCD screens allow the rider to choose and adjust the settings on certain motorcycle and mySPIN features.
- The MENU screen can access mySPIN connection options, trip information, service reminders and general options.
- The SETTING screen permits adjustments to the panel brightness, backlighting mode, SAE or metric measurement, date, and time adjustments, and more.
The TFT LCD readouts include:
- Speedometer (digital), RPM indicator (shift light), Tachometer (analog format), Transmission gear position, Fuel gauge, Coolant temperature, Ambient air temperature, Cruise control setting, SDMS mode, Traction control mode, Quick Shift (ON/OFF), Voltmeter, Clock (12-hour format), Odometer, Dual trip meter, Average fuel consumption (Trip 1 & 2), Instant fuel consumption, Riding range (per fuel onboard), Smartphone battery level, Smartphone connection status, and Rider-passenger intercommunication status (Bluetooth®).
The main TFT LCD panel is flanked by LED indicators, including:
- Left-turn signal indicator, MIL (Malfunction Indication Lamp), neutral indicator light, master warning indicator, high-beam indicator light, right-turn signal indicator, TC (Traction Control) indicator, low oil pressure warning light, ABS indicator, and coolant temperature warning light.
Located to the left of the instrument panel is a USB outlet that the rider can use to charge a smartphone or power other accessories, like a GPS for navigation.
Available through the Apple App Store or Google Play, riders can install the free SUZUKI mySPIN app on their smartphone. Once installed, mySPIN provides an array of useful functions from five bundled applications specifically developed for motorcycle use.
The mySPIN applications appear on the TFT LCD panel with similar fonts and display format to the motorcycle’s systems, providing the rider a familiar appearance and intuitive operation of the updated left handlebar switch assembly. This familiarity will help when accessing features and content, or to change settings while riding.
The mySPIN system applications include Contacts, Phone, Maps, Music and Calendar
- Contacts – the system can access the contacts application on the smartphone and inform the rider who is calling. Calls can also be placed by selecting a contact from the list.
- Phone – conveniently, the system can place phone calls, either dialed directly or from the contacts application and can display the rider’s call history, all without stopping the bike.
- Maps – the rider can view his or her current location on the map without having to download any third-party map application or data. The Suzuki Map can search for destinations and get routing information, all while allowing the rider to easily navigate from screen to screen by using the switches on the left handlebar.
- Music – the rider can use a Bluetooth® headset to listen to music from his or her smartphone’s music library; the passenger can listen, as well, if they are wearing a Bluetooth® headset wirelessly connected to the system.
- Calendar – the rider can display calendar entries from his or her smartphone on the TFT LCD screen, checking scheduled events and reminders.
In the future, mySPIN will expand the menu of third-party applications that can add additional functions to the TFT LCD, such as navigation, weather information and more.
Suzuki mySPIN related disclaimers:
- Headsets sold separately.
- Smartphone screen images in Suzuki-authored documents were prepared using iOS 13.5, so they may differ visually when using a different OS or system version.
- App operation was confirmed under specific conditions. Depending on the OS and system version, some apps may not operate properly, or functions may be limited to ensure safe operation.
- Third-party apps are not under Suzuki control, and Suzuki is not responsible for their content or privacy policies.
- Suzuki cannot guarantee proper operation of third-party apps.
- Some third-party offerings are paid apps. Please confirm before installing new apps.
- Some third-party apps may not be installable or may appear differently, depending on the country or region, or on the OS or system version.
- Apple and the Apple logo are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. App Store is a service mark of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.
- iOS is a trademark or registered trademark of Cisco in the U.S. and other countries and is used under license.
- Google Play and the Google Play logo are trademarks of Google LLC.
- Android is a trademark of Google LLC.
- The Bluetooth® word mark and logos are registered trademarks owned by Bluetooth SIG, Inc., and any use of such marks by BOSCH is under license. Other trademarks and trade names are those of their respective owners.
The Suzuki Drive Mode Selector (SDMS) provides the rider a choice of three different engine power output modes. All three modes deliver maximum engine output, but provide different throttle response and torque characteristics when accelerating.
- These three modes (A, B, and C) provide the rider a quick and easy way to alter the GSX-S1000GT’s power delivery characteristics to match his or her riding style, or adjust to changing weather, road, and other conditions.
- Mode A (Active) is for active, sporty use that delivers the sharpest throttle response as the rider opens the throttle. Mode A’s torque characteristics are finely tuned to deliver exciting acceleration when opening the throttle aggressively, such as when participating in track-day events or enjoying a sporty run on clean, winding roads, in good weather.
- Mode B (Basic) is for general, all-around riding, as it features a softer throttle response and more linear power delivery curve as the rider opens the throttle. Intended to be the ideal setting for touring, this mode aims to make the bike more controllable and instill confidence in the rider when accelerating and offers a good fit for a wide range of riding styles and road conditions.
- Mode C (Comfort) offers a softer throttle response and gentler torque characteristics, with power increasing in a directly linear fashion as the throttle is opened. This mode is useful when riding on wet or slippery surfaces, or when the rider desires a relaxing, comfortable ride home after a long outing.
- Using the mode and select switches on the left handlebar, the rider can change SDMS modes while riding. The mode settings are clearly displayed on the TFT LCD instrument panel.
The five-mode Suzuki Traction Control System (STCS) continuously monitors front- and rear-wheel speed, engine RPM, throttle position and gear position to adjust engine output to prevent undesired rear wheel spin, while helping maintain traction and power delivery to the road.
- Compared to the three-mode system on the prior generation GSX-S1000F, this five-mode version of STCS features a wider selection of sensitivity to better accommodate a variety of riding conditions, styles, and rider experience. The system can also be turned off when preferred. The higher the mode number, the quicker STCS intervenes to limit rear-wheel spin.
- The STCS modes are displayed on the TFT LCD instrument panel and can be changed on-the-fly, using the left handlebar switch. When the system is trimming power to prevent wheel spin, the TC icon LED on the right edge of the instrument panel will illuminate and flash.
The advanced Ride-by-Wire Electronic Throttle System leverages the capability of the GSX-S1000GT’s 32-bit ECM and CAN-style wire harness to precisely control engine output relative to throttle action.
- This precision allows the throttle body action to be tuned to best match each of the SDMS modes. The result is a controllable, linear power delivery that responds faithfully to the rider’s intentions, whether he or she is commuting or enjoying a sporty ride on a winding road.
- Electronic control of the throttle valves helps produce smooth shifting when using the Bi-directional Quick Shift System and enables the Cruise Control to deliver precise speed control when engaged.
The Bi-directional Quick Shift System (QS) allows the GSX-S1000GT rider to shift up or down quickly and easily, without operating the clutch or throttle.
- To ensure smooth upshifts, QS automatically interrupts power delivery just long enough to produce smooth, almost uninterrupted acceleration. When decelerating, the system automatically opens the throttle valves just enough to increase rpm and match engine speed to the next-lower gear. The result is that this hands-free, automatic function combines seamlessly with engine braking to create a highly satisfying experience when downshifting.
- The bi-directional QS works seamlessly in concert with SDMS to bring riders even greater riding enjoyment.
- Performance of the GSX-S1000GT’s SACS-style, assist-and-slipper clutch ensures even smoother up- and down-shifts when using QS or manual clutch operation.
- A unique, shift position sensor sends shifter movement data to the ECM, so the Bi-directional Quick Shift system precisely responds to the rider’s actions.
The GSX-S1000GT’s Cruise Control System (CC) is a convenient system that allows the rider to maintain a set speed without operating the throttle. This helps reduce fatigue when touring long distances, particularly when travelling at constant speed on highways.
- The main cruise control button is on the right handlebar switch.
- Cruise control can be set at speeds between 18 mph (30 km/h) to 110 mph (180 km/h) when riding in 2nd gear, or higher.
- The chosen setting appears on the TFT LCD instrument screen in a distinct green font below the digital speedometer reading.
- Once engaged, the cruising speed can be easily adjusted upward or downward using the (UP or DOWN) select switch on the left handlebar.
- The handy “resume function” re-engages the system to smoothly accelerate to the most recent speed setting after canceling.
The Suzuki Easy Start System lets the rider start the motorcycle with a simple press of the starter button. There is no need to pull in the clutch lever when the transmission is in neutral, and the starter motor automatically disengages, the instant the engine fires up.
The Low RPM Assist System seamlessly increases engine speed to smooth the power delivery when launching from a standing start or riding at low speeds, which helps ensure better control and operation in stop-and-go traffic. The system also minimizes the possibility of the rider stalling the motorcycle during take-off.
A variety of Genuine Suzuki Accessories are available, with nearly three dozen that fit the GSX-S1000GT.
The accessory offerings include a set of quick-release, 37L side cases that accept color matched lid panels, a taller Touring Windscreen, heated hand grips, billet clutch and brake levers, fuel tank and engine cover protectors, clip-on tank bags, plus a unique selection of GT logo apparel.
12-month, unlimited mileage limited warranty. Longer coverage periods with other benefits available through Suzuki Extended Protection (SEP).*
*Subject to separate coverage for certain parts and the exclusions and limitations described in the New On-Road Motorcycle Limited Warranty.
- Engine999cc, 4-stroke, liquid-cooled, 4-cylinder, DOHC
- Bore x Stroke73.4 mm x 59.0 mm (2.890 in. x 2.323 in.)
- Compression Ratio12.2:1
- Fuel SystemFuel injection with Ride-by-Wire electronic throttle bodies
- LubricationWet sump
- ClutchWet, multi-plate SCAS type
- Transmission6-speed constant mesh
- Final DriveChain, RK525GSH, 525 x 116 links
- Suspension FrontInverted telescopic, coil spring, oil damped
- Suspension RearLink type, single shock, coil spring, oil damped
- Brakes FrontBrembo, 4-piston, twin disc, ABS-equipped
- Brakes RearNissin, 1-piston, single disc, ABS-equipped
- Tires Front120/70ZR17M/C (58W), tubeless
- Tires Rear190/50ZR17M/C (73W), tubeless
- Fuel Tank Capacity19.0 L (5.0 US gal.)
- ColorMetallic Reflective Blue
- IgnitionElectronic ignition (transistorized)
- Spark PlugNGK CR9EIA-9 or DENSO IU27D Iridium-style
- HeadlightDual LED
- Turn SignalsLED
- Tail LightLED
- Overall Length2140 mm (84.3 in.)
- Overall Width825 mm (32.5 in.)
- Overall Height1215 mm (47.8 in.)
- Wheelbase1460 mm (57.5 in.)
- Ground Clearance140 mm (5.5 in.)
- Seat Height810 mm (31.9 in.)
- Curb Weight226 kg (498 lb.)
- Warranty12-month, unlimited mileage limited warranty
- ExtensionLonger coverage periods with other benefits available through Suzuki Extended Protection (SEP)