2019 DR-Z400S Overview
There was an error loading these images. please try again later!
A compact design, 398cc, DOHC, liquid-cooled, dry-sump engine produces strong low-rpm power. Its compact, four-valve cylinder head features large 36mm intake valves and 29mm exhaust valves to help produce broad, tractable power and torque that’s ready for any terrain.
Suzuki Composite Electrochemical Materials (SCEM) cylinder is durable and lightweight and provides superior heat transfer.
Digitally-mapped DC-CDI system monitors throttle position/engine rpm and adjusts ignition timing to maintain efficient combustion.
Forged aluminum piston is 10 percent lighter than a cast piston and receives additional oil-cooling through a crankcase oil jet.
A refined Mikuni 36mm carburetor, with deceleration enricher circuit, is fed by a six-liter airbox to provide smooth throttle response when accelerating or engine braking.
The left side body cover has quick-release fasteners for easy access to the air filter.
The addition of a PAIR (air supply) system to the exhaust helps the motorcycle achieve emissions compliance without affecting performance.
Magnesium-alloy clutch, magneto, and head covers contribute to the bike’s low weight.
Thermostatically-controlled cooling fan mounted to the left radiator helps maintain consistent operating temperature.
Compact, five-speed transmission utilizes a cable-operated clutch with a separate magnesium outer cover for simplified clutch maintenance.
Low-maintenance, long-life sealed O-ring type drive chain produces minimal sounds when riding.
A narrow frame combines thin chrome-moly steel tubes for exceptional torsional rigidity with minimal weight. The backbone tube, front down tube, and steering head gussets form the dry-sump engine oil tank. A bolt-on aluminum sub-frame helps reduce weight and simplify maintenance.
Long travel (11.3-inch), 49mm cartridge-style fork has protective rubber boots plus adjustable compression/rebound damping and adjustable spring preload for smooth performance on all types of on- and off-road terrain.
Rear shock absorber features 11.6 inches of travel, compression damping/preload adjustments, and connects to a lightweight aluminum swingarm through a progressive linkage system.
Spoke-style 21-inch front and 18-inch rear wheels with aluminum rims are fitted with Dunlop D208 dual-purpose tires. The wheels are sized perfectly to accept popular dual sport tires.
Sure stopping power is supplied by a 250mm front disc with a dual-piston caliper and a 220mm rear disc brake with a single-piston caliper.
Electric start system provides convenient operation and features a lightweight starter motor and a compact, 6.5-amp, maintenance-free battery.
Compact digital instrument cluster includes speedometer, odometer, and twin-trip meters with addition/subtraction capability, clock, timer, and stopwatch functions.
On-road legal lighting includes bright 60/55-watt H4 halogen headlight, compact tail/stoplight, lightweight, rubber-mounted turn signals and horn.
A pouch on the rear fender carries the tool kit and owner’s manual.
Special design mirrors rotate to avoid damage in case of impact.
Genuine Suzuki Accessories include a low-profile seat, cargo rack, handguard set, and more.
12-month unlimited mileage limited warranty. Longer coverage periods with other benefits available through Suzuki Extended Protection (SEP).**Subject to separate coverage for certain parts and the exclusions and limitations described in the New On-Road Motorcycle Limited Warranty.
- Engine398cc, 4-stroke, liquid-cooled, single cylinder, DOHC
- Bore x Stroke90.0 mm x 62.6 mm (3.54 in x 2.44 in)
- Compression Ratio11.3:1
- Fuel SystemMikuni BSR36, single carburetor
- LubricationSemi-dry sump
- ClutchWet multi-plate
- Transmission5-speed constant mesh
- Final DriveChain, RK520KZ0, 112 links
- Suspension FrontTelescopic, coil spring, oil damped, adjustable damping force
- Suspension RearLink type, coil spring, oil damped, adjustable spring preload and damping force
- Brakes FrontDisc brake, single floating rotor
- Brakes RearDisc brake, single rotor
- Tires Front80/100-21 M/C 51P, tube type
- Tires Rear120/90-18 M/C 65P, tube type
- Fuel Tank Capacity10.0 L (2.6 US gal.), 9.5 L (2.5 US gal.) CA model
- ColorSolid Special White No. 2
- IgnitionElectronic ignition (CDI)
- Spark PlugNGK CR8E or DENSO U24ESR-N
- Headlight12V 60/55W (H4)
- Tail Light12V 21/5W
- Overall Length2310 mm (90.9 in.)
- Overall Width875 mm (34.4 in.)
- Overall Height1230 mm (48.4 in.)
- Wheelbase1485 mm (58.5 in.)
- Ground Clearance300 mm (11.8 in.)
- Seat Height935 mm (36.8 in.)
- Curb Weight144 kg (317 lb.)
- Warranty12-month unlimited mileage limited warranty.
- ExtensionLonger coverage periods with other benefits available through Suzuki Extended Protection (SEP)